Location – London E1 – flexible working arrangements (Remote currently) – we can consider Remote/Home based in the UK with occasional travel to the office on a case by case basis.
About the team that drives our platform
We’re a PropTech scale-up who have created a revolutionary, cloud-based software platform to bring together agents, landlords and tenants online and process all the paperwork electronically.
Our small, self-organising squads build the platforms and tools to help us achieve our mission. We’re disrupting an industry, so there’s plenty of thorny, real-world problems to solve on behalf of the agents, landlords and tenants that use our system.
If you want to develop new skills, there’ll be plenty of opportunities: many of our current team joined as back-end or front-end developers, and are now working across the full stack.
We are keen advocates of agile delivery; we work closely with our stakeholders and use Kanban to iterate quickly on customer feedback.
You’ll be learning every day, from the team around you and senior members of the team who you’ll have daily exposure to.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our mission is to provide the best renting experience in the world and you’ll play a key part in helping us achieve this by making sure our platforms is best in class.
Reporting to our CTO, you will be responsible for a team of engineers working towards collective business goals. You will be an experienced People Lead but still very much ‘hands on’ and will want to remain so for the foreseeable future.
No two days are ever the same at Goodlord so what you’ll be up to will vary. The pace we move at also means priorities will change and you’ll need to be comfortable with this (we’ll support you!). But these are the things that will be core to your role and will keep you busy.
Management & Leadership
- Contribute to setting clear performance objectives for the team and at the individual level in order to ensure everyone has focus and clarity on what needs to be done
- Coach and mentor more junior engineers to help them develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to further their careers
- Help the team operate more effectively through workload management, system improvements or direct assistance.
- Line manage and support a team of 4-5 engineers, you will be looking after their career aspirations, professional development and wellbeing so you should be committed to being the best leader you can be
- Work directly with Product Managers, Designers, Engineers and other stakeholders to understand end user problems
- Build and maintain features in our core platform for managing tenancy life cycles
- Evolve the application architecture to reduce technical debt and take advantage of current technological standards and best practices
- Perform self defined tasks geared towards your personal and professional development
What we need from you:
- Extensive commercial experience in web application development
- Demonstrable commercial experience in building complex web applications using Symfony (or similar PHP framework)
- Experience with architectural design taking into account both functional and non-functional requirements
- Line management experience (preferably in your most recent job)
- Experience working in an agile team with a good track record of delivery
- Willingness to learn new technologies and engineering practices
- Ability to write good, clean and well-tested code
- Experience working in an agile team with a delivery focus and a keen eye on what the customer needs.
- Experience with a few of the following: Typescript, React, Functional Programming, Test automation, AWS, DevOps and willingness to learn others on the job.
You should apply if:
- You want to work in an environment where your input is valued and you can make a real impact
- You’re a pragmatic craftsperson who strives to find pinpoint where user value is and the right balance between quality and delivery
- You have a passion for solving end user problems, big or small
- You want to create an environment for the successful and efficient delivery of high quality business solutions through a combination of leading and executing.
- You understand the challenges and rewards that come with working in a startup environment and look forward to taking them on
- change doesn’t faze you; you take the rough with the smooth and take people with you on that journey
- you are energetic, creative, curious and confident
- what we’re doing here at Goodlord excites you!
And it would be super great if:
- You know what it’s like to work in a young company and love the vibe (and sometimes chaos!)
WHY YOU’LL LOVE BEING A GOODLORDIAN:
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here’s a few favourites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
- Share our success: we know our success is a credit to our talented and hard-working team members so every Goodlordian has share options
- Grow with Goodlord: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us and you can use your £1000 annual development fund to support it. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord too!
- Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- Unlimited holiday and flexible time off: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge and reboot. We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- Our team: we’re an energetic, sociable and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment. In fact one of our one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us, if there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we’d like to hear about that too, please just include it in
your application. Come join us!
We started Goodlord because we wanted to make renting simple and transparent for everyone involved: the agent, landlord and tenant. We knew generation rent would lead to more tenants, with higher digital expectations and we were confident we could provide a solution.
And we did. Like all high growth companies it’s been a bit of a roller coaster journey, but we’re now stronger than ever, with over 800 happy customers and exciting new products. We have ambitious plans but with William Reeve at the helm alongside co-founder Tom Mundy and a brilliant team of over 180 talented Goodlordians we are confident we’ll achieve these.
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect.
And this year we’re proud to have been recognised as a Great Place to work. No one likes a show off, but we can’t not shout about this. We’ve worked hard to make Goodlord great, and it’s important you know this isn’t just words on paper; Goodlordians have validated this which has led to us being accredited:
- 20th Great Place to Work in the UK medium-sized businesses
- 11th in the UK for great medium-sixed workplaces for tech
- 12th in the UK for great medium-sized workplaces for women
- Excellence in wellbeing for our dedication to goodlordian’s wellbeing
- Real Living Wage employer by the living wage foundation
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES
You MUST be eligible to live and work in the UK to be considered for this role.
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and inclusive environment.
In fact one of our one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us, if there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we’d like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application.
Come join us!
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.