Front-End Engineer (React) – Intermediate/Senior
And we did. Like all high growth companies it’s been a bit of a roller coaster journey, but we’re now stronger than ever, with over 800 happy customers and exciting new products. We have ambitious plans but with William Reeve at the helm alongside co-founder Tom Mundy and a brilliant team of over 180 talented Goodlordians we are confident we’ll achieve these.
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect.
And this year we’re proud to have been recognised as a Great Place to work. No one likes a show off, but we can’t not shout about this. We’ve worked hard to make Goodlord great, and it’s important you know this isn’t just words on paper; Goodlordians have validated this which has led to us being accredited
- 20th Great Place to Work in the UK medium-sized businesses
- 11th in the UK for great medium-sized workplaces for tech
- 12th in the UK for great medium-sized workplaces for women
- Excellence in wellbeing for our dedication to goodlordian’s wellbeing
- Real Living Wage employer by the living wage foundation
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
About The Team That Drives Our Platform
We’re a PropTech scale-up who have created a revolutionary, cloud-based software platform to bring together agents, landlords and tenants online and process all the paperwork electronically.
Our small, self-organising squads build the platforms and tools to help us achieve our mission. We’re disrupting an industry, so there’s plenty of thorny, real-world problems to solve on behalf of the agents, landlords and tenants that use our system.
If you want to develop new skills, there’ll be plenty of opportunities many of our current team joined as back-end or front-end developers, and are now working across the full stack.
We are keen advocates of agile delivery; we work closely with our stakeholders and use Kanban to iterate quickly on customer feedback. You’ll be learning every day, from the team around you and senior members of the team who you’ll have daily exposure to.
Visit our careers in tech page to find out more about the team and the way we work.
The tech we use
The application comprises a PHP (7.4) app that communicates with a number of internal (Scala) and third party services via HTTP.
Our UI is a mixture of jQuery and React (using Typescript) and we’re actively pushing to have everything in React.
The app and all services are deployed in Docker containers running in a Kubernetes cluster on AWS.
We use Github for version control and Circle CI for building, testing and deploying code to the staging and production environments. All data is persisted in a MYSQL (AWS Aurora) database.
About The Role
Our mission is to provide the best renting experience in the world and you’ll play a key part in helping us achieve this by making sure our platforms is best in class.
No two days are ever the same at Goodlord so what you’ll be up to will vary. The pace we move at also means priorities will change and you’ll need to be comfortable with this (we’ll support you!). But these are the things that will be core to your role and will keep you busy.
- Work with Product Managers, Designers, business stakeholders and other Engineers to understand end user problems and implement appropriate solutions
- Address issues with the application user interface and interaction paradigms that prevent users from achieving their goals
- Expand our library of reusable components in order to ensure visual consistency and speed up development
- Continuously improve the code base to make it easier to understand and more fun to work with
- Perform self defined tasks geared towards your personal and professional development
What we need from you
- Ability to write clean and reliable ES6+ and/or Typescript code
- Understands the testing pyramid and writes tests as appropriate
- Experience building applications front-to-back, have been involved in other areas of full-stack development
- Providing SME knowledge on front-end development with the end goal of helping the team improve the front-end architecture, code, testing and processes
- Willingness to learn new technologies and engineering practices
- Experience working in an agile team with a delivery focus and a keen eye on what the customer needs.Any experience with the following would be a bonus PHP, Functional Programming, Test automation, AWS, DevOps but we’re also happy for you to learn these on the job
Goodlord is for you if
- You want to work in an environment where your input is valued and you can make a real impact
- You’re a pragmatic craftsperson who strives to find the right balance between quality and delivery
- You have a passion for solving end user problems, big or small
- You understand the challenges and rewards that come with working in a startup environment and look forward to taking them on
Why you’ll love being a Goodlordian
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here’s a few favourites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
- Share our success we know our success is a credit to our talented and hard-working team members so every Goodlordian has share options
- Grow with Goodlord your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us and you can use your £1000 annual development fund to support it. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord too!
- Your well-being matters bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- Unlimited holiday and flexible time off we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge and reboot. We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- Supporting your family we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- Saving you money access to thousands of discounts (cinema, travel, retail to name a few)
- Our team we’re an energetic, sociable and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES
You MUST be eligible to live and work in the UK to be considered for this role
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and inclusive environment.
In fact one of our one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us, if there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we’d like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come join us!
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.