Technical Director (Full Stack Developer, Qualifications in Ruby on Rails)
Bikerbnb’s vision is to serve riders globally as the one-stop platform for motorcycle travellers. It is also a community where riders can plan the trip of a lifetime, connect with likeminded hosts, join and share rides and support the world’s most beautiful riding destinations. Bikerbnb aims to be the world’s largest digital booking platform that features properties that only offer secure parking, drying facilities and access to nearby catering so riders can travel more easily and safely.
We hope to build a digital platform to help millions of motorcyclists across the world plan and book their next motorcycle adventure using a dynamic web and mobile application. We differentiate ourselves from competitors by expediting the time and effort it takes to find rider-approved housing in an over saturated marketplace. Our customers can relax knowing they have access to secure parking, drying facilities and the world’s best riding routes.
Bikerbnb’s 800+ accommodations are vetted to help users plan the trip of a lifetime through an online interface and search engine with just a few clicks. Our platform also aims to allow riders from across the world to network and share their experiences and unique stories that inspire us to ride the world with confidence.
We are now positioned to grow our core team, expand our technical capacity and develop the next iteration of our platform. The company is searching for an exceptional individual to lead technical development of the Ruby-based booking platform and help realise bikerbnb’s global vision. The Technical Director will be instrumental in delivering bikerbnb’s ecommerce platform and mobile application to the market.
Skills And Experience
Ideally, you are a self-starter who can provide leadership, strategy and technical solutions across all aspects of the bikerbnb technology stack. You will be part of our core team and will work with bikerbnb’s Co-Founders to develop the Ruby on Rail’s based platform, implement new features, integrations and maintain day-to-day technical operations. You will be suitably experienced to contribute and dive into the Ruby codebase, carrying out a broad and varied range of technical duties independently.
The Technical Director Will Fit The Following Description
- Proven proficiency in Ruby on Rails
- Experience with Sharetribe ecommerce marketplace
- Strong experience in designing APIs and API-first web applications
- Knowledge and working experience with backend databases, e.g., PostgreSQL, mysql and or AWS services
- Strong knowledge of web authentication mechanisms and security threats
- Relevant experience either working in a start-up, Fintech / Proptech / ecommerce or experience building a customer-facing product is a plus
- Experience in software development – knowledge of system / information architecture, software design and programming
- Interest in the technology, travel and tourism sector
- Bonus points if you are a motorcyclist or have links to riding community
The Technical Director will excel in the following responsibilities:
- Coordinating with bikerbnb’s Co-Founders to develop a strong technical strategy
- Leading technical development of bikerbnb’s ecommerce platform, mobile application and product UI / UX
- Delivery of a product within company brand guidelines and core values
- Ensuring the successful launch and maintenance of the platform and application
- Conducting routine quality assurance tests and maintenance
- Overseeing secure application development and information security
- Guaranteeing third-party vendor management and procurement as needed
- Engaging with the founders and stakeholders
- Managing projects and technical talent/teams
- Sharing knowledge of the current technologies and emerging trends
Scope of Work
To achieve this, our digital development project will take the following phases over the next four to six months:
- Phase 1 – Website Development Research: Bikerbnb will work with the new Technical Director to share its vision for the V2.0 of the booking platform and will evaluate the existing code base and asses options for an extensible and open-sourced solution.
- Phase 2 – Channel Manager Integration: This phase seeks to create API linkages with third-party booking site channel managers like eviivo.com and freetobook to ensure that hosts can sync calendars and update pricing across all of their chosen booking platforms, minimising host inputs and enabling bikerbnb to more accurately visualise available listings. This upgrade is also necessary to allow instant booking capability and enable more accurate pricing information.
- Phase 3 – Bikerbnb Route Builder: This added functionality will allow riders to input destinations, pricing and preferred accommodations, so motorcyclists can plan their adventure and book bikerbnb accommodations with just a few clicks. This is an industry-first innovation that will revolutionise the way in which bikers book motorcycle friendly accommodation. The mobile app (Phase 4) and the main website will be browsable by geographic areas and reduce the time, effort and energy required to plan motorcycle adventures and book suitable accommodations.
- Phase 4 – Mobile Application : With Phases 1-3 completed, Phase 4 will concern the creation of a mobile application to help riders plan, book and follow routes all within their preferred mobile devices. The bikerbnb brand will benefit from this convenience through increased engagement rates and sales. Later iterations will include social media integrations to enable riders to review routes or share adventures through the booking platform.
What We’re Offering In addition to a competitive six-month contract, we offer:
- The chance to have a major impact on a growing and exciting start-up with the opportunity to join as a founding member w/ an equity incentive scheme
- Flexible working hours to suit you – we trust each other to find a working pattern that suits the team and our production pipeline
- Opportunities to work remotely around the world (or from your bike / trail / road)
- Full support for any side projects or self-development – we want to foster an ethos of self-development and support proactive learners to invest in their future
If you are interested in the opportunity, please apply with a CV and cover letter.
Thank you for your interest in bikerbnb.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.